Who is the SGA?
The SGA is composed of full-time, undergraduate Champlain students who were either elected or appointed by the student body.
- The President chairs Cabinet meetings, nominates Cabinet members and serves as a liaison to administration
- The Vice President chairs House of Representatives meetings and the Bylaws Committee
- The Director of Finance chairs the Finance Committee, manages the SGA budget and approves expenditures
- The Director of Operations records minutes for House of Representative and Cabinet meetings and serves as the office manager
- The Director of Clubs coordinates with SGA-funded clubs, maintains club information and hosts training for club leaders
- The Director of Communications maintains and updates the SGA website, email and social media pages, in order to publicize the actions of SGA
- The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion chairs the Diversity and Engagement Committee and meets regularly with organizations such as the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Women’s and Gender Center to work to make Champlain College a more inclusive space
- The Director of Student Wellbeing communicates with students about wellness-related issues on campus, such as improving accommodations and mental health resources, and hosting educational workshops
The House of Representatives
- Allocates grant funding during House of Representatives meetings
- Engages and communicates with their constituents throughout each semester during office hours
- Serves on institutional committees as requested
- Hosts events on campus
How is SGA involved with clubs?
Champlain College’s annual costs for full-time undergraduate students include a $120 Activity Fee. The Student Activity Fee is used by the SGA to provide per-semester budgets to club and student activities accordingly.
How do I contact the SGA?
Every SGA member is available during their Office Hours in Hearthstone (IDX 303, across from the IDX entrance). Hearthstone is an open environment where all Champlain students are welcome, whether you have questions regarding the SGA or need a space to do homework or relax.
The SGA holds House of Representatives meetings every Wednesday at 3:00 PM to 4:15 PM in CCM 233. These meetings are open to any students or faculty who would like to attend to see their student government in action. If you are unable to attend, but would still like to know what goes on at meetings, you can view the monthly minutes on the Archives page.
If you are looking to reach out via email, the Cabinet member emails can be found at the Contact Us page.
What is a grant?
The SGA Grant Fund is designed to financially support Champlain College students for expenditures such as conference attendances, campus events, or personal projects, which benefit the Champlain College community.
The House of Representatives determines how the grant funds are distributed. Grant approvals are discussed at every other weekly House Meeting, which takes place every Wednesday at 3:00 PM to 4:15 PM in CCM 233.
If you wish to apply for a grant please visit the Grant Page and complete the form.
How do I start a club?
Starting a club requires one clubhead, nine interested Champlain College students, and one faculty advisor. In addition, the new club’s activities must align with the College’s Standards of Conduct.
If you wish to start a club please visit the Club Page and complete the Club Registration Form.
Do SGA members get paid?
SGA members are offered a semester-based stipend to compensate for their work in the organization.
Assistant Positions: $500 stipend annually
House of Representatives: $400 stipend annually
Cabinet Director Positions: $2,000 stipend annually
President/Vice President: $3,000 stipend annually
How can I access SGA funds?
If you have an accepted grant or club budget, you can reach out to the Director of Finance to set up a time with them so they can enter the card information when you check out online. When you finish the transaction, please fill out the form at bit.ly/sgafinance20.
You can also submit invoices from businesses or reimbursement requests through the form: bit.ly/sgafinance20
We ask that you please fill out this W-9 tax form so that funds can be deposited directly into your bank account as soon as possible.
How do I become a part of the SGA?
The Student Government Association has positions available for election and appointment every school year. For information regarding available positions, please contact the Director of Operations.