TRIGGER WARNING – This letter contains information about suicide and loss which may be upsetting to others.
As we learn about the events of this previous weekend it is important to reflect on how an event like this affects our community. With that in mind the SGA wants to address a few key points. Suicide is a very important subject. We’re hurting, we’re confused, we’re still processing things.
The Student Government Association stands with the community of Champlain College. Going forward, we are working to encourage open communication, and de-stigmatizing mental health in the most conducive and healthy manner. It is important to us all that our community receive the resources necessary to not only mourn the loss of our loved ones, but to prevent further tragedies from occurring. It is moments like this that remind us to reach out for support from others to heal.
On Monday, December 3rd, a Candlelight Vigil will be held in memory of lost loved ones. The gathering will occur in Fireside Lounge from 4:00–5:00 PM. We strongly encourage those affected by their loss to join us to share stories in a safe space, grieve quietly, or offer their support to the community.The Student Government will be supplying refreshments and welcome staff, faculty, and students.
Champlain College is a space that aims to ensure that every member of its community can feel safe to express themselves. When tragedies occur, we are forced back into a harsher reality. Some find it difficult to express productivity in an academic environment, as an event like this breaks the bubble we live in. We are reminded tragedy can occur within our own community. During this time, outreach is encouraged as seeking support can strengthen us.
Champlain College Counseling services are available 24/7
- Counseling will be offering drop-in counseling in Skiff Hall from 9:00 AM–4:00 PM all week.
- Counseling Services are available 24/7 by calling the Champlain College help line at 802-865-5745 or the Howard Center Crisis Line at 802-488-7777.
- If you are in a life threatening situation, please call 911 or go directly to the Emergency Department of the nearest hospital.
- Vermont Crisis Text Line – https://vtcrisistextline.org/
- For more details about available services, please visit the Student Health and Wellness website.
- Other Campus Support Resources
Your Representatives of the Student Government Association